Friday, February 12, 2010

Soul Doctor??

content="Microsoft Word 12">

I am a Masters level psychotherapist and pastor. For those who know the lingo, I am a LPC – licensed professional counselor, licensed in the state of Georgia. I intentionally and openly blend psychology and the Christian faith. This is not imposed on my clients, but I expose this fact to them from the very beginning. If they don’t want “God talk”, I will do “straight” psychotherapy – but they will know my value system is formed by my understanding of the Bible. I hold a Masters in Professional Counseling and a Masters in Religion.

Most of my clients come seeking Christian counseling. What they find is my blend of pastoral psychotherapy. I believe humankind is created in the image and likeness of our Creator. Our earliest ancestors failed, sinned and brought brokenness and corruption into the world and into our hearts. We all bear fragmented parts of the image and likeness of God mingled with brokenness, “muck”, sin. I see this taught in Scripture and confirmed when I hear the news, listen to my friends or clients, or look honestly in my own heart.

What I do in the counseling room is a blend of cognitive behavioral therapy, family systems therapy, emotion focused therapy, and insight oriented therapy. For me, all this is put through the lens and grid of Holy Scripture. My clients find two big ears (and hopefully a heart) that listen to their heart. They find skill training in relationships and how to deal with real problems including anxiety, depression, failing marriages, sexual addiction, mid-life issues. When needed, we look at their past and try to find help to get past the baggage childhood may have brought them. And I am always sensitive to how their faith resources can assist in their healing.

How can I help you? Send an e-mail to revbuzz@juno.com and let me know. I’m one messed up sinner who tries to let God use him to help other messed up sinners. That is what I understand a Soul Doctor to be!

2 comments:

  1. i like the term 'soul doctor' frank...and i bet you are a good one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a colleague, I can say you are a soul doctor. You know "The Great Physician". He has taught you how to offer care that leads others to healing and wholeness.

    ReplyDelete